For those who just love well polished nails, (like me!) French tips are something that never go out of style. You want a classic look? You want an office day look? You want a look that makes your nails look well maintained? Oh well… French tips have to be your best choice.
I generally go back to my French tips whenever I feel my nails need a break from all the jungle red, the shimmering gold and the purple shades that I quite often paint my nails with.
French tips might need a little bit more of your time, but are definitely worth the effort! Before we get to the ‘How – to’ part, lets first see a prelude of what French tips are.
French tips which are a type of French manicure is an art where the nails are coated with a thin base coat or a mild pink coat of shimmer while the tips are painted with white nail color or white white acrylic paint. This way, once the manicure is done, the nails look like below:
So, now to the ‘How to’ part.
How – to get French tips at home
- Just like how you always start with your nail polish routine, first remove your old nail polish with a acetone free remover.
- Then file your nails in the desired shape. Generally French tips look good with slightly square edges, but curved nail tips wouldn’t hurt. Choose the shape that goes with your finger nails.
- Apply a clear coat; this coat has to be thin and even. Uneven base coats and smudged polish will spoil the look of your manicure.
- Now use a French tip white acrylic pen or white nail polish and paint the tips of your nails. The thickness of the tips has to go well with your nails.
- After this, allow the paint to dry and then apply a clear coat or a thin shimmer coat. This again has to be thin and ensure that the earlier coats applied do not get smudged.
You’ve now got yourself a home-made French manicure!
Image Credit – D Sharon Pruitt
You can experiment with different color and styles as well. Shown below is a manicure with dark colored tips.
The classic white doesn’t go out of style but it wouldn’t hurt to experiment!